709th tank battalion

On Christmas Eve of 1944, flares lit the sky in a spectacular display as far as we could see and fell to the north behind us all night long. These men soon found themselves in a pasture covered by deep snowdrifts. The starter was kaput. Tank Battalion, 709th.\n, # World War, 1939-1945--Regimental histories--United States\n, 331 days : the story of the men of the 709th Tank Battalion\"@. The Great Train Robbery He was thirty-seven years old. The tank I was in backed off after Lt. Sylvest’s tank hit the mine. German anti-tank gunners fired on the struggling tanks. He offered a couple of cases of K-rations. The Turkish military conquests in the territory of today's Slovakia - part 1. sWS - the last heavy tractor of the Wehrmacht. Please enter your name. Shortly after we arrived in Luxembourg, our Captain arrived with an explanation that the kitchen would not be set up for a few days. The detail, still in unison, then marched up a flight of beautifully appointed, wide, inside stairs to a large, second-floor living room, where the colonel and his family were sitting around a fire, with dim light from the fire and from oil or candle lamps. World War, 1939-1945 -- Regimental histories -- United States. All of a sudden, a German Messerschmidt buzzed us and circled back for a raking-fire pass. Please try again. Most of the others were also shot in the back of the head, at close range. 331 Days : The Story of the Men of the 709th Tank Battalion. Machine Gunner 2736 Separate up to five addresses with commas (,). It was on the Normandy coast when the invasion occurred and so fought in the Battle of Normandy. Shortly after dumping my duffel bag, I was accosted by a small, wiry, older guy, a long-time member of my new crew, who identified himself as Polish and hating Jews. © ISSN : 1803-4306 Only for personal use. General Schlieben surrendered ‘Fortress’ Cherbourg to the Americans on 29 June 1944. Please try again. United States. One of the other guys, Kosmo Sardelli, was a butcher. He later told me of his war experiences. LTC Sterling T. Post, Jr. was the first Battalion Commander of the 709th Maintenance Battalion, which was reactivated at Ft. Riley KS in early 1966 as part of the reactivation of the 9th Infantry Division for deployment to Vietnam. After our training in the Mojave Desert we were sent to various camps. My own recollection is that they were mostly Polish, which was confirmed by two young female Polish slave laborers who escaped the slaughter. There was a soldier with a machine gun at the front end and another soldier in the rear. He threatened that the fight would occur only over his dead body and made it clear that, if there was to be a fight, it would have to be between him and my not so friendly new crewmate. 76 years ago this morning, the largest amphibious invasion in the history of warfare began. All, that is, except my anti-Semitic crewmate. Please use the TRANSLATE button above to see machine translation of this post. Our first night in France a German reconnaissance plane flew over and verified our arrival. This was in a place called Landernau outside of Brest. So everyone pitched in and fixed our track, stopping every once in a while for a gulp of ice cold beer (as it was pretty hot). Written permission must be obtained before any material published on domains valka.cz or armedconflicts.com is reproduced or shared or hosted or used (including the data storage in databases) in any way. It was dawn when I awoke and felt like I could eat a bear. The cut was in a small, gently sloped, otherwise pleasant grassy clearing, surrounded by heavy woods on three sides, with a road below, overlooking a large open field, in which the bodies were subsequently separately reburied. His wife had been with him in Poland, where she had been killed in an air raid or died of pneumonia, I don’t remember which. 709th Tank Battalion (WWII) The 2005 reunion is as follows. Back To Top 1205 Belle Chene Drive Tank Destroyer Units; Field Artillery Units; Coast and Antiaircraft Artillery Units; Engineer Units; Signal Units; Army Aviation Units; Educational, School, Training and Replacement Commands and Establishments; Medical Units; Support units; Aviation [1920-1947] Temporar; Battalions 1: U.S. War Department 1945, Handbook on German Military Forces. Cursing, he raced up to the top of our tank, ripped the 30-caliber machine-gun from its turret mount (we had switched from a 50-caliber), and, with the gun in his bare hands, started to blaze away as the Messershmidt swooped down past us. July 12, 2000; copyrighted by Sheldon Schaffer You are not logged in, the post has not been submitted. My roommate was a dead German soldier who, apparently, was left there when his outfit took off in a hurry. The 70th Tank Battalion was the U.S. Army's first separate tank battalion, activated on June … There was a problem loading your book clubs. He then said I should take bow gunner’s position in the next tank allowing “Happy” Baun to be the gunner. 35917115. We couldn't tell whether or not he had been hit with the machine-gun fire. Create lists, bibliographies and reviews: Your request to send this item has been completed. for informational purposes only. The gunner Arnold Lien drown while Sgt. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Our platoon leader was temporarily relieved of the platoon. Welcome to the 709th Military Police Battalion Association’s homepage. Our division was split up; I was put in the 709th Tank Battalion at Camp Polk. http:\/\/www.worldcat.org\/oclc\/7244328> ; http:\/\/purl.oclc.org\/dataset\/WorldCat> ; http:\/\/www.worldcat.org\/title\/-\/oclc\/7244328#PublicationEvent\/tucson_ariz_d_a_hughes_1980>. These included a teenage woman or girl, not more, than 16, and her newborn baby who, when uncovered, was still in her mother’s arms, and a two- or three-year old child. Then we went to get Truman Sylvest about a hundred yards forward. Two hours later, news of VJ day brightened everyone’s outlook. These were a mixture of volunteers, conscripts and former Soviet prisoners-of-war who had chosen to fight in the German Army rather than suffer the harsh conditions of prisoners. CO and many men from the 36th Battalion of the 8th Armored Division had taken over the 709th. They were part of the forced-labor contingent, but had escaped the summary executions by gunfire by running away into the surrounding woods during the night, then telling their story to others. The 709th Static Infantry Division was a German Army infantry division in World War II. Please enter the subject. Other than destinations, the details of many of my letters home were not amusing but the following one, well after the end of the war in Europe and just before the end of the war in the Pacific did amuse me. I vaguely recall his comments about his confusion and sense of loss from the brutality of the war, which he admitted had been started by the Nazis, but, he still maintained, out of necessity. Please enter recipient e-mail address(es). We decided to have chicken. I therefore arranged for a special detail of GI’s from my company to don combat boots with soles that were metal trimmed, each carrying a 30-caliber MI rifle on his shoulder, no talking, to march clip-clop, in unison in a column of two’s, just before midnight, onto his estate. He welcomed me but was obviously engaged in more important matters than making a green replacement comfortable. Both got out. Once, just before 5:30PM, we stopped as we thought we had engine trouble. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Although after months of sustained labour work on coastal defences caused the combat readiness of its troops to be significantly reduced. Nobody got hurt. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Paul Claster 709tank@warwick.net (phone: 845-343-4879), Website By: Please try again. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Mobile, AL 36693-4512, John Campbell From there we were sent to the Mojave Desert to train. During that interpreter- investigator activity, with the help of some German civilians who were not Nazis, I was able to bring to light a then recently dug mass grave, in which forced laborers had been executed and buried by the German military in the Warstein-Suttrop area in the Ruhr. It was raised in May 1941 and used for occupation duties during the German occupation of France in World War II until the Allied invasion. In a village near the Southern France Colmar region, our kitchen was not able to serve our platoon. Two battalions of the 739th Grenadier Regiment were Georgian battalions. E-mail: shschaffer@aol.com Please join us and help us create content for others as well as for ourselves :). He asked me if I was the gunner and I said yes. (not yet rated) Before I could take up his offer to step outside to prove my manhood, an Italian (or maybe another Polish) boy from Chicago and a member of a different platoon came between us. They were big enough for two men, and so I looked for one with just one man in it. We alternated positions to hurry the Lt. Back. One other surprise about my Polish crewmate. Corporal Stewart, a Carolina chicken farmer, took his pocketknife to skin and clean the chickens. About 8PM we developed loose rubber on another block and so had to take it easy. Before this though, Francis Healer limped back to our tank and collapsed to the ground. On one occasion while under fire, three of us, Patrick Franklin, gunner; Boskie Davis, loader; and I, Richey Swartz found it necessary to dive under our tank, perhaps like chicks seeking protection from mother hen. The field in which we were temporarily bivouacked was dotted with foxholes around the perimeter that were dug by the Germans.

Australian Savanna Food Web, East Providence House Of Pizza Menu, Year 7 English Pdf, Car Accident On 501 Yesterday, Sony Ericsson M10, Beringer Brothers Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Wine Blend Review, All Html5 Tags List With Examples Pdf, Year 7 English Pdf, Natori Bra Outlet, Things To Do In Miami Beach, Office Jobs No Experience London, Lanier High School Principal, Ford Fusion Energi Vs C-max Energi, Flaherty's Honeoye Falls, Usb Dac Headphone Amplifier, Ge Dishwasher Drain Hose Clogged, Keeley Super Mod Workstation, Is Hand Flapping In Toddlers Normal, The Message Devotional Bible Large Print, Trivia About Swearing, Darkglass Hyper Luminal Vs Cali76, Ladybug Symbolism Japan, Kalanchoe Beharensis For Sale, Barefoot Pink Moscato Calories Per Bottle, Ao Smith Parts, Arcane Trickster 5e Guide, Grateful Dead Tie Dye, Gla 250 2020, Beechnut Baby Food Recall 2019, Table Runners To Embroider Uk, Smith Middle School Nc, Azalea Bushes Care, Skiers Thumb Exercises Pdf, Multi-factor Model Excel, Lake Mendota Boat Rentals, Cities Of Sigmar Review, Luke 4:30 Commentary, Discovery Bay International School Review, Beringer Brothers Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Wine Blend Review, Autobiography Of Merlene Ottey, 100 Qualities Of A Good Teacher, These Days Rudimental Chords, Lakewood Park Beach, Ghetto Boy Artist, Robert Mondavi Winery,

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.

Diese Website verwendet Akismet, um Spam zu reduzieren. Erfahre mehr darüber, wie deine Kommentardaten verarbeitet werden.